Tarlton Completes Historic Renovation of Shriners Hospital & CID Buildings

in Companies/Homepage Primary/News

Project promotes sustainability by converting two vacant buildings into modern apartments

Tarlton Corp., a St. Louis-based general contracting and construction management firm, completed the $28 million historic renovation of buildings that formerly housed Shriners Hospital for Children and Central Institute for the Deaf in St. Louis’ Central West End, into The Core Apartment Residences.

Tarlton served as general contractor on the project that transformed two adjacent buildings – Shriners Hospital at 700-728 S. Euclid Ave. and CID at 818 S. Euclid Ave. – into 160 rental apartments that share amenity spaces, including common kitchens and a large community room, as well as a game room, music practice space, media lounge and fitness center. BOBB, LLC was the developer for the project.

The mix of units includes studio, one- and two-bedroom apartments. The scope of work included restoring the existing masonry facade, window repair or replacement, installation of new mechanicals, plumbing, electrical systems and fire protection, paving and landscaping. The new residential development offers a convenient central location to students on the medical campuses of Washington University and BJC HealthCare and the nearby St. Louis College of Pharmacy, as well as people working in the Cortex Innovation Community.

The Shriners and CID buildings are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The two buildings opened within a decade of each other, and each was designed in the Renaissance Revival style by renowned St. Louis architect William B. Ittner. The three-story, 77,671-square-foot Shriners building, which opened in 1924, was the largest facility in a national network of free hospitals created by The Shriners fraternal society to treat disabled children. Central Institute for the Deaf, founded by Dr. Max Aaron Goldstein, opened in 1929 as a school for deaf children and to train teachers in deaf education. The four-story CID building totals 51,207 square feet.

“It’s rare that builders have the opportunity to lead the construction management team on the renovation of two separate, but adjacent historic buildings that have evolved into an exciting, centrally located residential apartment community,” said Tracy Hart, Tarlton president.

The Tarlton team included Matthew Pfund, project executive; Joe Scarfino, project director; Chris Kaintz, project manager; Sarah Mangapora, senior project engineer; Mack Waggoner, project engineer; and Jeff Peterson and Steve Moore, project superintendents. Lawrence Group was the project architect.

The Shriners and CID project is the latest in a number of historic renovations completed by Tarlton. The firm recently restored and constructed an addition to a pre-Civil War building at Missouri Botanical Garden, the Stephen and Peter Sachs Museum. Other historic renovations completed or in progress include 700 Market St. in downtown St. Louis, home to Spire headquarters; @4240 in the Cortex District, a former telephone factory; and Moosylvania, a Baptist church transformed into a marketing agency headquarters.

In business since 1946, Tarlton Corp. is a WBENC-Certified Women’s Business Enterprise that completes projects for wide-ranging clients in the commercial, life sciences, health care, institutional, power and industrial markets, also providing special expertise in concrete construction and restoration as well as hydro excavation and industrial vacuum services.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

*

Latest from Companies

0 $0.00
Go to Top