Features 18th Annual Keystone Awards and 6th Annual Specialty Contractor of the Year Awards
The Associated General Contractors (AGC) of Missouri recently announced the winners of its 2015 construction industry awards at its gala event at the River City Casino & Hotel. The Construction Awards Gala featured the 18th Annual Construction Keystone Awards which highlight the creativity and talents of Missouri’s construction industry. This year also marks the fifth time the AGC of Missouri has named First Place Specialty Contractors in 12 disciplines along with the coveted Specialty Contractor of the Year.
The 18th Annual Keystone Awards were presented to 12 contractors chosen from a group of 35 finalists covering a broad spectrum of project types including hospitals, educational buildings, treatment plants, energy production facilities, roads and churches. The awards ceremony also honored the owners of the projects in this elite group.
The Construction Keystone Awards are not awarded based upon a project’s beauty. Instead, the Keystone Awards recognize a contractor’s success in achieving solutions during construction for challenges faced on a project. The awards are a glowing recognition of construction professionals whose skill, teamwork and spirit of innovation make a lasting contribution to a community by building the facilities that support and enhance the quality of life. Safety performance and workforce diversity also are essential components of overall performance.
Keystone Project of the Year winners include:
- Musick Construction Company for the Restoration of Basilica of St. Louis, King of France (St. Louis, MO)
- Tarlton Corporation for 700 Market (St. Louis, MO)
- McCarthy Building Companies, Inc. for Mercy Hospital Joplin (Joplin, MO)
- Bloomsdale Excavating Co., Inc. for Route 336 Macomb Bypass (Macomb, IL)
- Goodwin Brothers Construction for Missouri River Wastewater Treatment Plant Secondary Treatment Expansion & Disinfection (Maryland Heights, MO)
- Golterman & Sabo, Inc. for Jazz at the Bistro (St. Louis, MO)
- IWR Building Systems for Shriners Hospitals for Children – St. Louis (St. Louis, MO)
- Guarantee Electrical Company for Mercy Hospital Joplin (Joplin, MO)
- icon Mechanical Construction and Engineering for Milam Landfill Gas to High BTU Compressed Natural Gas Plant (Fairmont City, IL)
- Murphy Company for Bridgeton Landfill (Bridgeton, MO)
- Tarlton Corporation for Pulitzer Foundation Expansion (St. Louis, MO)
- Herzog Contracting Corp. for Port of Los Angeles Berth 200 Rail Yard (Los Angeles, CA).
The 2015 Keystone Heritage Award was awarded to the Missouri Botanical Garden. Since its first presentation in 1997, the Heritage Award’s purpose is to recognize a project of significance and ongoing importance that was built prior to the inception of the Keystone Awards. The Garden stands as a shining example of a heritage of significance to our state.
Specialty Contractor Awards
The AGC of Missouri also announced 12 Specialty Contractors who were voted “First Place” in their discipline by the general contractor members of the AGC. The General Contractor members were asked to
consider a Specialty Contractor’s timeliness in regard to completion of project(s), ability to stay within budget and their overall experience with the specialty contractor. The 12 First Place Specialty Contractor award winners are:
- D & S Fencing CO., Inc. (Ancillary Services);
- Vee-Jay Cement Contracting Co., Inc. (Concrete / Paving)
- Drilling Service Company (Earthwork & Utilities);
- Guarantee Electrical Company (Electrical)
- Spirtas Wrecking Company (Environmental Remediation & Demolition)
- T. J. Wies Contracting, Inc. (Int. & Ext. Finishes, Openings & Fixtures)
- icon Mechanical Construction & Engineering (HVAC / Piping)
- John J. Smith Masonry Company (Masonry)
- Boyer Fire Protection (Plumbing & Fire Protection)
- Waterhout Construction, Inc. (Structural & Finish Carpentry)
- ACME Erectors, Inc. (Structural & Finish Metals)
- Western Waterproofing Co., Inc. (Thermal & Moisture Protection).
The Specialty Contractor receiving the most votes by General Contractors also was presented the Specialty Contractor of the Year award by the AGC of Missouri. This distinction was awarded to Vee-Jay Cement Contracting Co., Inc.
“Now that the AGC is a statewide association it’s really exciting for us to have the opportunity to highlight some of the outstanding projects throughout the U.S. successfully completed by our members while at the same time honoring our specialty contractors for their contributions to the success of a project,” said Leonard Toenjes, CAE, president of the AGC. “More than ever in today’s competitive and challenging construction environment, collaboration is the key to making a successful project happen.”
The Associated General Contractors of Missouri is the united voice of the construction industry, representing nearly 550 commercial, industrial, heavy and highway contractors, industry partners and related firms in 110 counties in Missouri.