Calendar submissions will be reviewed by our staff before posting to the website. Please allow a few hours for this to take place.
- This event has passed.
Sustainable SITES Initiative Workshop
February 22, 2018 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Presented in parntership with ASLA-St. Louis.
Learn about the SITES rating system at a full-day workshop at O’Fallon Park Recreation Complex in St. Louis, MO.
Modeled after LEED and administered by GBCI, the Sustainable SITES Initiative (SITES) defines what a sustainable site is and elevates the value of landscapes in the built environment. The SITES v2 Rating System is a set of guidelines and performance-based metrics that align land development and management with innovative sustainable design, covering areas such as soil, vegetation, water, materials and human health and well-being. SITES certification is for development projects located on sites with or without buildings – ranging from national parks to corporate campuses, streetscapes to homes and more. The rating system is currently being used by landscape architects, designers, engineers, developers, policy-makers and others.
Land is a crucial component of the built environment and can be planned, designed, developed and maintained to protect and enhance the benefits we drive from healthy functioning landscapes. The four overarching goals of the SITES rating system are to create regenerative systems and foster resiliency; ensure future source supply and mitigate climate change; transform the market through design, development and maintenance practices; and enhance human wellbeing and strengthen the community.
- Explore the SITES v2 rating system with real-world project examples, including two local SITES case studies.
- Discover important connections and distinctions between SITES and LEED.
- Engage in live discussion and application of SITES strategies with active projects.
- Examine revitalization efforts planned for the workshop site, O’Fallon Park, as part of the “Back to Nature in O’Fallon Park” project currently underway and supported by the Missouri Department of Conservation.
After attending the workshop, you’ll be able to speak to the value of SITES, understand the central rating system components and themes, identify the important steps for pursuing SITES certification and set a framework to start studying for the SITES AP exam.
- Registration + Breakfast
- Welcome + Introductions
- Background on the SITES Rating System
- The SITES Rating System structure, categories, pre-requisites, credits + Q&A
- Local SITES Case Studies Presented by SWT Design
- Project Workshop + Interactive Session: Applying SITES to O’Fallon Park
Melissa Cox, LEED AP BD+C, Team Lead – Certification, Green Business Certification Inc. (GBCI)
Ted Spaid, Partner and Founder, SWT Design
6 GBCI CE Hours
Thursday, February 22, 2018
9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Registration opens at 8:30 am
O’Fallon Park Recreation Complex
4343 W. Florissant
St. Louis, MO 63115
$100 – USGBC-MGC / ASLA Member Early Bird (by Feb 14, 2018)
$125 – USGBC-MGC / ASLA Member (after Feb 14, 2018)
$150 – Non-Member Early Bird (by Feb 14, 2018)
$175 – Non-Member (after Feb 14, 2018)
$75 – Current Student
*Registration fee includes continental breakfast and lunch.
- February 22, 2018
9:00 am - 4:00 pm
- View Event Website
- USGBC-Missouri Gateway Chapter
- View Organizer Website