The St. Louis Regional Chamber has honored the Electrical Connection with an Arcus Award. The electrical industry labor-management partnership was presented the Ameren Corporate Citizenship Award at a March 1, 2018 gala event at the Marriott St. Louis Grand Hotel downtown. The celebration drew more than 600 leaders from the business and civic community. The Electrical Connection is a partnership of International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) Local 1 and the St. Louis Chapter, National Electrical Contractors Association (NECA).
The Electrical Connection was saluted for a number of initiatives to improve the communities that its contractors and electricians serve. In fall 2017, the Electrical Connection committed to investing $500,000 in a STEM education partnership with the Saint Louis Science Center to advance science, technology, engineering and math education in schools. The Electrical Connection had previously sponsored the high-tech lighting of the James S. McDonnell Planetarium. It has also been major supporter of FIRST Robotics and the St. Charles Economic Development Center’s salute to STEM achievers and has engaged more than 10,000 students in how STEM subjects connect to electrical careers.
The Electrical Connection’s enduring civic support also includes:
- A 14-year commitment to Rebuilding Together St. Louis, donating labor and more than $825,000 in materials to improve more than 485 homes for low-income, disabled and elderly St. Louisans.
- Since 2004, donating $1.5 million in services to Habitat for Humanityto safely wire nearly 300 new homes.
- Helping National Night Outneighborhood safety by donating more than $450,000 in materials/services to install security lighting in more than 850 homes.
- Donating new scoreboards, including installation, for several schools.
- Being an important resource on the electrical industry, including energy and technology trends, though board service to the Hawthorne Foundation, Missouri Energy Initiative, Missouri Partnership and others.
- An ongoing sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals, St. Louis Blues & Saint Louis FC.
- Reenergizing Ferguson, Mo.’s “Shop with a Cop” program while continuing its 23-year support of the St. Francois County “Shop with a Cop” donating more than $59,000.
And for more than 75 years, the IBEW/NECA Electrical Industry Training Center has consistently delivered the best value in workforce development. Training is free of charge and at no taxpayer expense and structured to meet Missouri’s next generation electrical needs, including electric vehicles, cybersecurity, smart building technology, robotics, advanced manufacturing, digital communications and more. Diversity is fully integrated into its programs. More than 25% of apprentices accepted to the program have been minorities. The partnership also invests in the Regional Union Construction Center’s mission to create a more sustainable minority contracting community.
The Electrical Connection was among five organizations named finalists for the Ameren Corporate Citizenship Award. Others included Bunzl Distribution, Maritz, Millapore Sigma and Redberri Corporation & Redberri Earth Foundation. The Arcus Awards honor companies, organizations, or institutions who make St. Louis a more inclusive and attractive place to live, work, and invest for all people. Learn more at www.stlregionalchamber.com.